SII Semiconductor Corporation (President and Representative Director: Nobumasa Ishiai, Headquarters: Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, hereinafter called SII Semiconductor), an affiliated company of Seiko Instruments Inc. (President: Hitoshi Murakami, Headquarters: Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, hereinafter called SII) has recently released the “S-847x series” of ultra-small wireless power transmission control ICs which make it easy to build a small wireless power transmission system ideal for wearable devices. They are now accepting orders for this new series of ICs.
A wireless power transmission control IC is an IC that controls the power transmission and reception in a wireless power transmitting system. Qi and PMA, two standards for wireless power transmission, call for a wide variety of functions to handle complicated tasks, but up until now it has been difficult to build systems composed of many parts for performing these tasks.
For our “S-847x series”, we employed our original standard specifically for power transmitting and versatile parts, such as a diode-transistor and resistor, that can be used as peripheral parts. Due to the limited number of parts required, it became easy to build a small wireless power transmitting system. The use of an ultra-small package, such as the SNT-6A (1.8×1.57×0.5 mm) or SNT-8A (2.46×1.97×0.5 mm), also made it possible to substantially shrink the size of the board space.
The lineup of “S-847x series” includes three types of control ICs for reception— the S-8471, S-8472, and S-8473— and one for transmission—the S-8474. The transmitting side (S-8474) can be powered with a USB 5V power supply, and the receiving side (S-8471) can receive 100mA power at 5V. In addition, charging function-equipped products with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery (S-8472/8473) are also available. Each comes with a transmission status display (continuous operation mode / intermittent operation mode), over temperature protection with a thermistor, and other similar functions.
- Easy to build wireless power transmitting system
The ability to use a limited number of versatile parts makes it easy to build a small wireless power transmitting system. In trial production, the potential minimum size was 10×10 mm for the receiver module and 23×23 mm for the transmitter module used in evaluations.
- Dedicated specification for power transmission
The transmitting side (S-8474) can be powered with a USB 5V power supply, while the receiving side (S-8471) can receive 100mA power at 5V. Charging function-equipped products with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery (S-8472/8473) are also available. In addition, the products in the series come with a transmission status display (continuous operation mode / intermittent operation mode), over temperature protection with a thermistor, and other similar functions.
- Ultra-small package
Ultra-small packages— SNT-6A (1.8×1.57×0.5 mm) and SNT-8A (2.46×1.97×0.5 mm)—are used, which are ideal for a wireless power transmitting system.
Item S-8471 S-8472 S-8473 S-8474 Purpose Reception control Reception control Reception control Transmission control Feature Constant voltage output Charging function to a lithium-ion rechargeable battery
(Charge current: 100mA)
Charging function to a lithium-ion rechargeable battery
(Charge current: 33mA)
Continuous operation /
Operation voltage 0.95 to 6.5V 2.2 to 5.0V 2.2 to 5.0V 4.5 to 6.5V Current consumption
30μA typ. 250μA typ. 250μA typ. 200μA typ. Package SNT-6A SNT-8A SNT-8A SNT-8A
Wireless power transmission for wearable devices such as smart watches, headsets, physical activity meters, card-type devices, and glass-type devices.
SII Semiconductor Corporation has released an ultra-small wireless transmission control IC which makes it easy to build a small wireless transmission system and is ideal for wearable devices.
SII Semiconductor: Ultra-Small Wireless Power IC
- Sumida: Semi-shielded Ferrite Type In... — Sumida has developed a ferrite type surface mount power inductor CD40D26MB. It is featured with a compact magnetic shield structure. By filling the winding wire with resin containing magnetic material, the the magnetic shield effect and the mechanical impact strength is significant. Apart from product with size of 4mm and height of 2.8mm, we are also developing [...]
- Holystone: X7P Series – Low DC Bias M... — Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitors 250V and 400V High Voltage X7P Holy Stone high voltage products are designed and manufactured to meet the general requirements of international standards. The X7P product offering is ideally suited for LED driver, lighting, power adapter and USB charger applications where effective capacitance at working voltage is critical to circuit design. [...]
- SUMIDA Corporation: High Current Surf... — Sumida has expanded its lineup of High Current Surface Mount Inductors, known as the CDPQ series. The existing types under CDPQ series are CDPQ2010 and CDPQ2419, CDPQ2417 is newly added as an expansion. This surface-mounted product can be used for PV inverter (Photovoltaic) and UPS power supply as well as for mobile phone base station. Key [...]
- SII Semiconductor Corporation: S-1317... — The S-1317 Series, developed by using the CMOS technology, is a positive voltage regulator IC, which features super low current consumption and low dropout voltage. This IC has low current consumption of 0.35 μA typ. and high-accuracy output voltage of ±1.0%. It is most suitable for use in portable equipment and battery-powered devices. Features Output [...]
- SII Semiconductor Corporation: Releas... — SII Semiconductor Corporation, an affiliate of Seiko Instruments Inc., manufactures and sells semiconductors. In November 2016, SII Semiconductor Corporation will release the S-1317 Series of LDO voltage regulators that have the world class low current consumption of 350 nA. The S-1317 Series of LDO voltage regulators is ideal for wearable, IoT and all devices needing [...]